Thursday 3 September 2009

Overheard Conversations #9



Location: Outside a hut set in waste ground . Exterior. Evening.
Characters: Mum, Teenage Daughter (Banshee), Small(ish) Boy.

Mum & Banshee are standing outside the hut. It is dark and cold.

Banshee: I can't believe you've let him come here.
Mum: It's good for him to join things.
Banshee: Look at the place!
Mum: What about it?
Banshee: It's in the middle of nowhere.
Mum: We're in Garston.
Banshee: They could be teaching him anything!
Mum (CONFUSED): What?
Banshee: It's a paramilitary organisation.
Mum: It's the Scouts.
Banshee: I wouldn't let my child come here.
THE SCOUT HUT DOOR BURSTS OPEN. SMALL BOY COMES RUNNING OUT WAVING A PIECE OF PAPER.
Small Boy: You have to sign this for next week!
Mum (SQUINTING AT THE PAPER): What is it?
Small Boy: My shooting permission slip.
Banshee: Ha! What are you going to be shooting, Rory? Jewish people?
Small Boy: I'm going to camp next weekend -
Banshee: To learn how to make bombs?
Small Boy: I need to take a cake -
Mum: I'll make you one -
Small Boy: And a sleeping bag -
Banshee: A detonator, plastic explosives, a hunting knife -
Small Boy: And wellies. Have I got wellies?
Mum: Yes, they're under the stairs -
Banshee: Not forgetting the black balaclava, latex gloves -
Mum (FIRMLY): How was Scouts?
Small Boy: Great! We chopped up a piano with massive axes and burned it!
Mum: What?
Banshee: Next week: book burning.
Small Boy: Ken, he's the leader, he's got no feeling in his left hand -
Banshee: Has he got a hook?
Small Boy: When he was a welder a piece of white hot metal jumped inside his glove and destroyed his nerves -
Mum (BRIGHTLY): Let's go for the bus -
Small Boy: And the first he knew about it was when he smelled the burning flesh.
Banshee: Lovely!
Small Boy: Ken says I can train my grip by squeezing a tennis ball. Have we got any tennis balls, Mum?
Banshee: Perhaps you could practise on small animals?
Mum (THROUGH GRITTED TEETH): Yes, we've got a tennis ball.
Banshee: When he grows a small, black moustache don't say I didn't warn you.

Roll credits

No comments:

Post a Comment